It’s been a while since we had nightly versions and for good reason. In the background I have been working on upgrading the project to the .NET 7 Platform. This was a major undertaking as there are some fundamental changes in the platform. Luckily most of the existing third party dependencies are still working and replacements – if necessary for the future – can be implemented at a later point in time.
What does this mean for you?
There is no reason to use the nightly builds for your imaging runs.
– The 2.1 release will still be further improved and patched. There may even be 2.2 and further minor build increments for a while until 3.0 is finalized.
– No new features are in the nightlies so far. Everything was just migrated to work with the new platform.
– The nightly builds will most likely contain some issues here and there for existing stuff, as basically the whole app has to be regression tested
– Plugins have to be migrated and not all plugins will be available at the start
– Overall the application performance should be better. Especially the startup time will be drastically better.
And here is a friendly reminder:
Do not blindly use nightlies. There will be issues, especially in the first builds!
In case you do want to jump on them regardless you will need to install the .NET 7.0 Desktop Runtime
All can be found here in the right column: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/7.0
In addition: Not all plugins are updated for the nightly build. Only a subset of plugins are available at this point in time
– Stefan Berg